Friday, December 31, 2010

Ringing In The New Year

So it's that time of year again when it's time to post some resolutions and pretend to stick to them.   But before we can do that, we must ring in the new year!  Normally, I would prefer some crazy night out, but this year I'm going low-key and having a few friends over for games and, of course, food!   

Being born and raised in a strong German/Irish household, we of course at pork and sauerkraut every New Year's Eve.  However, due to some taste-challenged friends of mine (Alison), I'm axing the sauerkraut (I'll make it to morrow) and making up a new menu that will be sure to please!  

I recently received the 'Cook This, Not That' cookbook and I love it!  When I cook, I like to use recipes I find and then tweek them to make them my own.  So tonight I'm letting a glaze from the book inspire me to create a great meal for my friends!  Here's the menu: balsamic-honey glazed pork chops, rosemary mashed potatoes, and sauteed garlic green beans.  Recipes below! 

Enjoy and Happy New Year!!

Balsamic-Honey Glazed Pork Chops, Rosemary Mashed Potatoes, & Sauteed Garlic Green Beans



Balsamic-Honey Glazed Pork Chops

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp rosemary (dried or fresh)
1/8 tsp chili powder
4 pork chops
salt and pepper

Cook the vinegar, butter, honey, rosemary, and chili powder over medium-low heat until the butter melts and it comes to a low boil (slight bubble).  Remove from heat.  Set aside 2 Tbsp of the glaze.  Season the pork chops with salt and pepper and coat with the remaining glaze.  Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side, brush with the reserved glaze and serve!

Rosemary Mashed Potatoes


6 medium potatoes (I'm using red-skin, but whatever you have)
1/2 cup milk (I like at least 1%, skim is too thin)
1 sprig rosemary
4 Tbsp butter
salt

Peel and cut potatoes into 1" cubes.  Boil in salted water for about 10-15 minutes or until fork tender.  While they're boiling, heat milk and rosemary in a separate saucepan to infuse the flavor.  Remove the rosemary sprig from the milk.  Use a hand mixer to mash the potatoes, butter, and half the milk.  Add more milk as needed to reach desired consistency.  And salt to taste.


Sauteed Green Beans


2 cans no-salt added green beans
2 cloves garlic, fine chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil

Heat  olive oil in saute pan over medium heat, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.  Add green beans and cook until heated thoroughly . 

No comments:

Post a Comment