Thursday, January 6, 2011

So Worth The Anticipation...

After weeks of waiting, my much anticipation birthday present arrived this week.  My parents are exceptional birthday present selectors (i.e. new UGG boots, jewelry, etc.) and this year they really out did themselves.  As you may have guessed, I LOVE my kitchen accessories and I was probably the only 20 year old alive who was uber pumped when I got my first stand mixer for Christmas (KitchenAid Artisan Mixer in Clementine!)


This year, I got a beautiful 4 quart, All-Clad Saute and Simmer Stainless Steel Pan.   OMG BEAUTIFUL!!!  Take this combined with my new Cuisinart food processor that I got for Christmas and I was in culinary gift heaven this holiday season!

So of course, the natural question that popped in my mind as soon as I opened it was, "What do I make first?"  Well for the past few months I've really had a hankering for coq au vin, and this pan would make it absolutely perfectly.  So I developed a weeknight coq au vin recipe for you all!  It took about 2 hours from start to finish, but really about 90% of the time, it just has to cook on the stove so you can do your yoga DVDs or something productive (or not) in the meantime!  Here's the recipe; hope you enjoy!!

xoxo Betty

Easy Coq au Vin

6 strips of bacon
3 large chicken breasts - cut in half
1/4 cup flour
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 onion - rough chop into bite size pieces
4 carrots - peeled, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 pack of pre-sliced mushrooms
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 bottle good pinot noir
1 tsp thyme
2 tsp herbes de provence
salt and pepper

In large, deep saute pan or dutch oven, fry the bacon until crispy.  Remove and let drain on a paper towel.  Coat the chicken in flour and fry in the bacon fat (in batches, if needed) to brown on all sides. While bacon and chicken are working - chop your produce - it saves on prep time!

Remove the chicken from the pan, and use the remaining fat to saute the garlic, onion, carrots, and mushrooms until soft, about 3-5 minutes.  Add the wine and chicken broth to deglaze the pan and mix well to get the drippings from the bottom of the pan.  Stir in the herbs and salt to taste.  Once well mixed, return the chicken to the pan.  Cover and simmer for an hour and a half.  Remove the lid and let simmer for 15 minutes to help reduce the sauce.  Reseason with salt and pepper if necessary.  If you like a thicker sauce, add a tablespoon of cornstarch to help thicken.  Crumble the bacon and serve over the chicken.  Enjoy!

I served with a piece of french baguette from the store and I roasted some potatoes with herbes de provence.  Super easy meal and I only had to wash 1 pan and a baking sheet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment